Thursday, March 12, 2009

Monday = March midterm madness

Hello my beloved blog! No, I have not forgotten you - I just had midterms this week and felt like studying might be a good idea, although it turns out it was overrated. Monday's midterm - awesome. It was in OT Models, and I did pull it together long enough to study for an hour or two, and managed to make an A. Sweet! We also had class (um, hello? Midterms???), and that didn't go so well. One: there was more bitching about midterm for that class (to be taken Wednesday - see Wednesday's post for the trainwreck midterm). Two: at 12, we were given (in our mailboxes, which people only sort of check) a list of "electives" for our class. The rules are as follows: you cannot take more than one elective per semester (and they don't really want you taking 1 in maymester and 1 in summer), you have to have at least 2, and only 12 seats are in each elective class. We had to decide by 1:00 what classes we wanted to take. In Maymester there's 1 class with a particular teacher that people just kind of don't want to deal with - so that's pretty much off the table. There's 1 other class. Then in Summer there are 3 classes being offered: but one of them you have to take 2 parts parts, and...well.. knowing this professor, it's going to be a lot of work (she's a great prof, though). So that crosses off that one for most people (myself included). Fall: 4 more courses - one being the 2nd half of the above mentioned, and the other being a hands class - which, to be honest, sounds like torture to me. So basically I had 4 choices. yay. Not one of these classes is a pediatrics class! So, being me, I asked, "Just curious, why did you guys decide not to offer any peds classes?" and professor answers, "Oh, you're right, there aren't any (as if she hadn't noticed.) Well, we give first billing to our faculty who are on salary, since when we hire an adjunct, we have to pay extra." I just nodded dumbly. Ok. So you're telling me that my education that I pay for is being compromised so you can save a couple hundred dollars? REALLY? Ok, just so we're clear. She could have at least come up with a lie!!!!! 2 more people asked, "what happened to the autism and/or NICU class?" Then I guess she realized she had given a CRAPPY answer, so she asked how many of would be interested in either of those classes - big surprise, all but like 3 people raised their hands. So who knows what she's doing about that - if she's looking into it (doubtful) or just checking for future reference. I tried to ask (albeit at a random time) and she told me, "We really need to stay on topic". Meh. So everyone left school in a really bad mood Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment