Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Note to crazy woman: a street is NOT the same thing as a highway!!!

Wednesday. April Fools Day, which I HATE. I don't think anyone played any tricks on me, luckily. Went to Fieldwork and got to participate more with one of the kiddos (I still like hearing "Ms Katie!") and saw an initial eval and a re-eval. It was funny how different the re-eval was than how we learned it in school - as I suspected then, standardization is pretty darn difficult when you're dealing with kids with LD and Autism. Then I raaaaaan over to Region 10 to do a presentation. Except, I went to the wrong building and I was in a hurry. So I ask Ms. Doesn't-Understand-Streets where the meetings was. Convo:

Me: Hi, Um, Can you tell me where the Region 10 OT/PT meeting is?

Ms. DUS: Whaaaat? *pause* *looks at schedule* Um...*keeps looking, scanning* I don't see it. That's not happening.

Me: *peeks over desk and points* Yeah, it's right there - on the schedule. Pecan room?

Ms. DUS: Oh...yeah... that's in the other building.

Me: Ooook, where is that?

Ms. DUS: Um, across the street.

Me: Which way? (as there are no buildings across the street the 2 ways I can see)

Ms. DUS: You're gunna turn left out of here, do a u-turn, and go across the highway.

Me: Highway? Wait, where is this place?

Ms. DUS: Across the street. You turn left outta here, turn right, and cross the highway.

Me: *Getting flustered now* Across the highway? Like, 75? What's the address?


Ms. DUS: No, it's just across the highway. You turn left outta here, turn right, and cross the highway.

Me: Can you just tell me the address? What street is the other building on? *phone starts ringing*

Ms. DUS: Take a Left outta here, do a U-turn, and cross the highway.

Me: OK, THANKS.

And I just left, and I asked my classmate, who was on the phone. As it turns out, it was a 1/10 up the road - sort of across the street, but more like on the other side of the street and further north. There was definitely no highway involved. Anyway, luckily made it just in time to start my presentation - which I hadn't rehearsed or even really read before. It seemed like no one was paying attention anyway, though, so I suppose it was fine. Then we headed back to school for class. Our class that is done at 5:30 ran over a bit, and then we had to stay and finish our Helen Killer treatment plan. Since we were almost done before, I figured it wouldn't take too long. WRONG. Around 6:30 I start getting trivia texts - "Are you going?" "What time?" "How many?" "Where are you?" "Can you get us a table for 10?" "Where are you?" "Coming soon?" "When are you coming?" "WHERE ARE YOU?" By the time we got out of there, it was about 8:15. As we're discussing what else we can do with her, Aaron says, ".....nevermind, I'm not going to say it." So I say, "What, She's DEAF and BLIND?" Yep - lol. We're all just ready to turn this stupid thing in. Ok, so I finally make it to trivia, and we're at a few different tables. We ended up tying for 2nd - so - wing off! Jenn didn't have to do it this time - we had a new guy who was more than willing. and, he kicked ass! We won by almost an entire wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment