Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's B-I-N-G-O, right?

This morning we went to CDC to observe and get an idea of how the program works. I wasn't looking forward to this too much - it's a place for adults who are unable to keep a "regular" job for various reasons such as TBI, Stroke, MR, etc. I wasn't sure how this was going to go - last year I did OK at Walnut Place, but I just never know what to expect with adults. Luckily, the people were so welcoming and excited to talk to us that it ended up being a really good experience. I helped some of the people with their jobs - today it was peeling labels off of jars. Yep. It was actually pretty darn hard! I tore up my nails. I'm still not sure why they're not allowed to use anything like goo gone or a coin to help, but those are the rules. The funny thing was, the labels they were peeling off were for anti-cellulite cream. Wonder what the new labels will be - face moisturizer? Then we played Bingo, and when Priyanka was the caller, she asked me "It's B-I-N-G-O right?" So despite my reservations, it ended being a good experience. Then we had Peds lab, and it was all about feeding and eating. We watched a few You Tube videos with feeding methods, and then we tried it ourselves. Not sure how much I got out the whole thing, but I guess it got us thinking about how we eat and our preferences. The last thing we did was watch a video of a kid throwing tempertantrums. The mom commented that they're getting worse as he gets older, and she couldn't show the worst parts of them because it was too much for her to handle. So Mrs. Fletcher asks what we would do if this was our kid. My answer: "Start drinking?" Not the answer she was looking for. Then we all rushed to Mrs. Campbell's house for a pre-celebration of scholarship party. It was ok - awkward at first, but then people got more comfortable. We also got to talk to Dr. Dunn and got some good advice about practice and school.

No comments:

Post a Comment