Friday, May 14, 2010

Watch out, Tuscon, here we come!

We left Roswell before 8 and headed to White Sands. I went here when I was young, but I don't remember it too much except I was excited that Boys II Men had filmed a video ("Water Runs Dry") there.  In fact, I had that song stuck in my head like the entire time we were there.  It's basically an area of NM that had pure white (Gypsum) sand dunes - random!  Some of the dunes have plants, but a lot of them don't, making them look like big snowy hills in the middle of a desert - except the snow is actually sand...so it's just a big white desert :)  Then we headed to Tucson and got there fairly early.  We went to Saguaro National Park (West) to see the giant cacti.  I have wanted to see these for a long time - particularly because I remember Spike, Snoopy's cousin, being friends with them and living in one.  Weird, I know.  But it definitely did not disappoint.  There were also lots of different animals and plants there, too.  We went to a local "mexican" (would say Tex-Mex except not Tex!) restaurant for dinner and it was kind of weird, but really good.  Who would have guessed green beans went with fajitas? 
I guess I should mention what we're doing to entertain ourselves in the car. Afterall, driving through the desert for 3 days gets old pretty quickly.  We listened to Simple Genius by David Baldacci - It's the 3rd book in a series about these 2 detectives and I have to say I am totally addicted to them.  Esp. when we moved on to a different book (shall remain nameless!) that is terrible! 
Animals seen on this day:
Lizards
Coyote (dead)
more birds

3 comments:

  1. I love the cacti pics! And now I want to drive out West!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you guys did something other than figure out which states all of the rivers run through?! Shameful.

    Limed Minnows,
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some of the same types of pictures from the time Steve and I made a cross country trip from Washington state to Oklahoma. Roswell was so funny! And those sand dunes are huge! Looks like you had fun. :) Makes me remember some fun times....

    ReplyDelete